Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Return of the Iowawineguy and Updates From The Field!

That's right, my relocation is nearly complete and I am now alive and well and working back in the state of Iowa, thus Greg the Wisconsin Democrat has become iowawineguy once again. I am currently living in a residence hall on the campus of the University of Iowa until I close on my new home in Coralville on July 6th. The job is going great and is a great breath of fresh air.

Something else smells great here too...the smell of caucus politics! Thick cut pork chops, the Field of Dreams, corn, and first in the nation Presidential voting...Iowa has it all!

I hope to be able to bring you better coverage from the the front lines of the 2008 campaign, at least from the GOOD side. I might even get motivated to go check out the GOP folks if they get close enough...Lord knows there will be plenty of seating...

Tonight I went to the field office for Barack Obama here in Iowa City. The office is in a large cluster of offices in a building in downtown, and is approximately 6 offices down from the Hillary Clinton field office. I got to meet several volunteers tonight as well as the county coordinator and volunteer coordinator Chris. I got a quick tour around the office, which is fairly small, changed my voter registration, signed a caucus pledge card for Obama (I really hope Gore doesn't get in the race now!), signed up for phone bank shifts and took myself a bumper sticker!

My initial impressions are very positive. Based on my experience with the Dean campaign in 2003, the Obama group already seems more organized and off to a better start. Of course Dean had a much harder road to hoe then Obama does these days. Chris said that they were having a large influx of volunteers, many of whom were young and had never done campaigns before (much like Dean). Most interesting was that they were getting a huge flood of high school volunteers, which was a new phenomenon to manage...lots of young people signing pledge cards in anticipation of their 18th birthday...remember these folks don't get polled!

The office already had numerous ways for me to get involved: upcoming July 4th parades, community summer events where they would have tables, canvassing, and phone banking.

Tomorrow night is my first round of phone banking, and I will be sure to report back after to let you know how it goes!

No comments: